The 003 Blog (Fall 2006)

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Elections

Yesterday was Election Day in the United States. Where I live, we voted for U.S. Senator, U. S. Representative, Governor, State Senator, State Delegates, State Attorney General, State Comptroller, County Executive and County Council, School Board, several judges, a few other offices I can't remember now, and four ballot questions. The ballot was four pages long!

The polls opened at 7 a.m. and I went to vote on my way to work. I had to wait in line for about 15 minutes, and it took about 5 minutes to cast my ballot. Of course, I had made all my decisions beforehand. I was given a little sticker to wear which said "I voted." I wore it proudly all day.

In the evening, I tried hard to stay awake to watch the returns, but I was too sleepy. When I got up this morning, I learned that the Democrats had retaken the U.S. House of Representatives and that most of the Maryland races had also been won by Democrats. :-)

2 Comments:

  • Nina,

    I voted from Japan by absentee ballot.

    I woke up to the news that Donald Rumsfeld had resigned from his job as Secretary of Defense. It's an amazing change. George Bush has said for years that nothing would cause Rumsfeld to leave, but it happened. Is it possible that things will start to change in America?

    John

    By Blogger John, at 5:37 PM  

  • Hi,Nina!

    I've subscribed to CNN News Update which is distributed on iTunes, and I've heard a lot about politics in the US during the campaigns. So I could learn new words related to politics because of that, and I'm so familiar with the system of the mid-term election even though I can't receive suffrage from the US since I'm Japanese! Hahaha...but it's interesting for me to see other country's election because the US citizens' attitudes toward the election looked different compared to the Japanese. In Japan, many people are likely to vote for a party just because many people seem to vote for it! Also, a turnout for voters keeps decreasing... So the number of the people what we call swinging voter is growing.

    The results of this election have enormous fluences not only on the Us gorvernment itself but also other countries throughout the world. So I hope that a kind of a new start of the US gorvernment will work out well.

    By Blogger Hiromi, at 11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home