The 003 Blog (Fall 2006)

Thursday, October 12, 2006

The Field Trip

Despite the rainy forecast, today turned out to be a beautiful day for our trip to Harpers Ferry. I met the group at the park (unfortunately, I got lost in Frederick, so I was a little late.) and we split into groups for the scavenger hunt. We had to go to different places--such as the Provost Marshal's office, the Dry Goods Store, the John Brown Museum, and Jefferson Rock--and find the answers to some questions. For example, "On what date did John Brown attack the U.S. Armory at Harpers Ferry?" (October 16, 1859--almost exactly 137 years ago) and "What was John Brown's goal?" (to seize the Armory and the Arsenal and use the captured weapons to begin freeing the slaves) We didn't find the answers to all of the questions, but we answered many of them.

My group consisted of about twelve students. We stayed together (sort of) and had a good time. Everybody took pictures of everybody else. We went beyond Jefferson Rock as far as the cemetery, where we saw gravestones which were so old that we couldn't read the inscriptions on them (as well as some new ones). Some of us walked across the railroad bridge to the Maryland side of the Potomac, but we did not have enough time to hike up to Maryland Heights, because the students had to be back at the Visitors' Center by 2:30 to take the bus back to College Park. Anyway, I think everyone had a good time. I know I did!

4 Comments:

  • Hi~
    I think "The Field Trip" was really exiting.
    I was wake up 8:20 yesterday and then I tried really to have quick ready for school. When i was arrived in school 8:45-50....
    And I heard that the bus was leave at 8:40...
    :-(...

    By Blogger +Seyoung+, at 11:50 AM  

  • Hi, Nina
    We had a good time with you. I got a very nice picture for you and for our group.
    Also, you gave us a lot of information about that's place. It's really good place.
    I enjoy that and I hope we have a lot of trips and we want you to be a guide for us.

    See you >>>
    ^_^

    By Blogger essa-mei2006, at 10:45 PM  

  • Hi, Nina
    We had a good time with you. I got a very nice picture for you and for our group.
    Also, you gave us a lot of information about that's place. It's really good place.
    I enjoy that and I hope we have a lot of trips and we want you to be a guide for us.

    See you >>>
    ^_^

    By Blogger essa-mei2006, at 10:46 PM  

  • Hi,
    I hoped that I was with you but,I couldn't because I had problem with my family.
    I heard about this trip from my friends and I hoped that I was there.
    :(

    By Blogger M-alkaabi, at 10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home