The 003 Blog (Fall 2006)

Friday, September 22, 2006

A Walk Around Clopper Lake (Gaithersburg, MD)

Today is the first day of fall! My husband and I hiked around Clopper Lake in the state park near our house. The hike took two hours. It was a pleasant, cool day, but not very sunny. We saw lots of wild animals, such as Canada Geese, Whitetail Deer, a Great Blue Heron, and even a Red Fox! (I was not fast enough to get a picture of the fox.) Although we did not see any beavers, we saw some trees which beavers had felled with their sharp yellow teeth. (If you don't know what a beaver is, Google "beaver" (image).)

I took some pictures of plants, too. Milkweed is the favorite food of the Monarch butterfly, which migrates from the Eastern U.S. all the way to Mexico! Poison ivy is a vine which is common in the Eastern U.S. and which most people are extremely allergic to. If you touch it, you can develop a painful, itchy rash. I took some pictures of it so that you can learn to recognize and avoid it.

To play the slideshow, click on "Play (single arrow)." To advance to the next picture manually, press the double arrow. To see the album on the Bubbleshare site (larger), click on it or on the words "this album."

5 Comments:

  • Hello Nina, and greetings from Denmark! Such fine pictures; I would certainly enjoy visiting you some time.

    By Blogger Sus Nyrop, at 11:03 AM  

  • Hi, Nina
    I am sure you had a good time with your husband. And this place is wonderful. Also, I will try to go there sometime.

    By Blogger essa-mei2006, at 12:06 AM  

  • Hello, Nina, you seems had a very nice weekend. I like your pictures so much because I like nature. The Clopper Lake looks like very beautiful. I like it. ^^

    By Blogger Cindy, at 11:51 AM  

  • The scenery of the pictures is amazing! I stared intently at them! Thanks for sharing!

    By Blogger Hiromi, at 1:08 AM  

  • Thanks for your nice comments. I also love to spend time in a natural place like a forest. I went back to the park today and walked on a different path. If you want to join me for a hike in Seneca Creek State Park, I would be happy to show you my favorite trails--but it's quiet far from UM so you would have to find a way to get there! (Hiromi remembers how long it takes to get to Gaithersburg by bus!)

    By Blogger Nina Liakos, at 6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home